Tuks takes Wits in Varsity Cup


On 27 February, FNB Tuks took on FNB Wits at home. Tuks won the game 25-9. Tuks stays third on the log after this win with 14 points behind Maties and Shimlas, who both have 19 points. This win is sweet after last week’s loss to UJ with a score of 18-17. FNB Player that Rocks went to Tuks’s very own Andre Warner. Captain Chris Massyn was pleased with the result and with how his team pushed Wits right until the very end, with Tuks scoring three tries to Wits’s zero.

The first score of the game went to Tuks at approximately eight minutes in, as they were awarded a penalty after Wits was guilty of illegal scrumming. This penalty was easy for flyhalf Tinus de Beer. Ten minutes in, Tuks was awarded another penalty for the same thing, but unfortunately this penalty was missed. Six minutes later, Wits flyhalf, Warren Gilbert, reminded the crowd that they were still in this as he scored a penalty for the away-team. The first try of the game was scored by Dewald Naudé. Although this spurred Tuks on, they conceded two penalties (both of which were easy enough for Gilbert to score) before they could manage to get the ball across the try line again. The second try was scored by Captain Chris Massyn and converted by De Beer, giving Tuks a 15-9 leg up. Just before half-time, Wits was given a yellow card for a dangerous tackle.

After half-time, both teams seemed more determined than ever. Unfortunately, this determination was curbed by unforced errors. The teams were growing tired as the game progressed. Tensions seared at approximately 60 minutes as a fight nearly broke out. After this, both teams were getting fiery and fighting hard. At 69 minutes, Wits was given another yellow card. Although Wits made some decent tackles, their scrumming grew messier towards the end of the game. They had numerous opportunities to score a try, with their replacement Gianni Lombard being quick and agile, but Tuks didn’t let them break through. Tuks responded to Wits’s attempts by scoring the third and final try of the match at 77 minutes. The try was scored by Franco van den Berg, and De Beer converted yet again. No points were scored again after this try, although Tuks was flirting with the try line for the majority of the last few minutes.

The game was relatively slow-paced, but Tuks definitely deserved the win. Wits made too many errors, forced and unforced, and Tuks refused to let them break through their line of defence.

Next week, Tuks faces CUT at home in round six. The game will be played at home. Kick-off is at 16:45.


e-max.it: your social media marketing partner

Flip Through Perdeby

Perdeby Poll

How do you feel about UP's new virtual open day?

I think it is a good idea. - 35%
I really don't like it at all. - 44.7%
I will wait and see how it goes. - 20.2%

Video Gallery