FNB Tuks wins round six of Varsity Cup with record 100-0 score


On 6 March, FNB Tuks made history in round six against FNB CUT as they broke the record for the highest score in a Varsity Cup game. Scoring 100-0, Tuks replaced the record held by the University of Johannesburg (UJ) with a score of 93-0 set in 2012. Tuks also continued their winning streak as they secured their third win over the Free State-based team. FNB Player that Rocks was awarded to Manie Libbok, who scored two tries and five conversions, including the last conversion of the game which secured the triple digit points.

Although the crowd was slow to grow, Tuks’s points were not. Within six minutes, the first try of the game was scored by Joshua Stander. Tuks was pushing from the get go. CUT was also working hard, but it did not prove enough to break Tuks’s line of defence. Two minutes after the first try, the home team was back on their try-line – with yet another try scored by prop Neethling Fouché. The short interval between scores seemed to become a pattern, as four more tries were scored before the first strategic break. Tries were scored by Dewald Naudé, Manie Libbok, Brian Leitch, and last week’s FNB Player that Rocks Andre Warner. Whatever the boys worked on in training clearly paid off. Unfortunately only nine of the 14 conversions were scored, with Libbok securing five, and Stander four.

Both teams came back from the strategic break with revived energy – as did the crowd, which had grown exponentially by this point. Jsuan-Re Swanepoel from Tuks was given a yellow card and sent to the sin bin for his illegal tackle 27 minutes in. Being a man down did not slow Tuks down, as they proceeded to score four more tries before half-time. Libbok’s second try of the game was particularly impressive, as he ran to the try-line consistently out of reach of the opposition. He was untouchable.

When the teams came back from half-time, the score stood at 54-0. At first, Tuks seemed to have lost motivation. They played a bit slower and fumbled more than they had in the first half. For the first time in the game, CUT managed to keep the ball in their half for long enough to get close to the try-line, but Tuks never let them see it through. Five more tries were scored to secure the total 14 by the end of the game. The most noteworthy of these five included Sibahle Maxwane’s first Varsity Cup try and Franco van den Berg’s great last-minute try as he peeled away from the opposition and ran to the try-line untouched.

CUT was definitely disheartened by the result, as they haven’t won a game all season. The immense point difference has sent Tuks into second place on the log with 19 points, all but securing a place in the play-off stages. Tuks will be facing Shimlas next week on 13 March at Shimla’s home ground at Free State Stadium in round seven.


e-max.it: your social media marketing partner

Flip Through Perdeby

Perdeby Poll

For how much longer will you be attending your classes this semester?

Perdeby on SoundCloud

Listen to the Perdeby Entertainment fortnightly podcast for all your local and international music, film, gaming, literature and general entertainment news and views.

Video Gallery